Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Name is Earl: Frank's Girl

I was wondering when they would get around to conjugal visits. This storyline is exactly what I have commented on previously. Earl doesn't need a list to do good things. List or no list, he has to help people with their problems and now that he's locked up, he can spend more time helping his friends and family.

Even at the ten minute mark, I was pleased with how many actual jokes were in this episode. Randy's "half-circle" joke, Earl's "wrote on a pillow case" joke and especially the "good for pillow" line. It's lines like these, the witty throw-away kind of comedy that shows how witty and clever a sitcom can be.

Then when I think about the other storyline with Joy's incontinence problem, I have to wonder. Is this an effort by the writers to even out the script with some solid toilet humor or am I overthinking it because sometimes a pregnant woman crapping herself is funny? In any event, the truth is I am kind of over the animosity between Joy & Catalina. They don't really have any reason to be around each other so why don't they just avoid one another? I know Joy has an excuse with her being crazy and all but I thought Catalina was the nice one.

John Farley as Annie was a funny take on an old joke. I wasn't surprised when Earl's date turned out to be a dude, but I was surprised that he was so funny.

All in all, I enjoyed this episode. I've never been a huge Rapaport fan but I think he's a welcome addition to the show. I know many haven't enjoyed the new direction of the show for a number of reasons but I think it's clear that you really only have two choices...get over it or stop watching.

No comments: