Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Name Is Earl: Bad Earl

"There's no room at the motel and it's Christmas eve. Just like Jesus' baby." -- Randy Hickey

I don't know about you but I really have a problem watching holiday episodes after New Years. I guess, like many people, I have just had enough "holiday cheer" and when I see those references, I feel like I'm watching an old episode. Maybe I should just be happy that there are new episodes at all.

As I've said before, I always love to see recurring characters. Seeing Ralph and gay Kenny actually crossing paths was one of the high points of this episode.

This episode answered a lot of questions for me. The biggest being, "Is everyone in Camden County a complete idiot?" Clearly, the answer is yes. More importantly, it seems that idiots migrate to the area. Case in point, Tim Stack. Once a Hollywood TV personality, now a drunken wash out living in Camden County. It's the only place that a mental deficient like Ralph can actually outsmart someone.

Personally, I think it's about time Earl gave up on the list. It's clear that he is no longer karma's bitch and the line between making up for something bad you've done and humiliating yourself isn't really all that fine. It seems that it's time for the list to be shelved.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Earl shouldn't try to be a good person. He just doesn't need the list anymore. There are plenty of ways he can assuage his guilt and still live a normal life. Watch Joy's kids, feed Mr. Turtle, help Catalina become a citizen; in addition to getting a decent job and being a functioning member of society, any of these are worthy goals for a fulfilling life.

Adding Alyssa Milano to the cast is a stroke of genius. Now Earl can live a more normal life with a girlfriend who is trying to achieve similar goals. Together, they can strive to be better people and make the world a better place. Of course, along the way, their white trash leanings will offer a few rough patches but that's to be expected.

Overall, I thought this episode was a little light on laughs but you have to expect that with a transitional story such as this one.

No comments: