Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Thursday, February 14, 2008

DVD Review: The History Boys

The History Boys is based on an acclaimed play, which I have never seen but have heard good things about. So I was looking forward to seeing this movie, but have to say I was rather disappointed.

It follows a group of young intellectuals and their attempt to get into an esteemed university and their relationships with their teachers.They like to recite poetry to each other, discuss philosophy, and to gather around a piano and sing as they plan how they will gain entrance to higher education. Some of the pupils then begin to discover their sexual orientation with their homosexual teachers, in a slightly comedic style.

I just couldn't relate to any of it. These guys read Byron - I read People, they recite poetry to each other, I recite catchphrases from the Daily Show, they love their teachers, I hated mine, their gay, I'm straight etc , etc. The point is, I couldn't relate to anyone in the film, and didn't care about what happened to any them.

And although there is supposed comedy running throughout this film, I can't remember laughing out loud once. I don't know. It's hard to explain but the characters just seemed far away and distant. Maybe I will check out the play if I get the chance.

On the plus side - Richard Griffiths relives his role as an Uncle Monty type character which made it worth watching.

No comments: