Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Men In Trees: The Girl Who Cried Wolf

I've added another show to my repertoire of viewing pleasure - Men In Trees. I've only caught a few episodes during the second season, but so far I like what I see although I'm still a little confused on who is who and what everyone is doing in Elmo, Alaska, but I'll give it a whirl.

Heck, even I was crying, "Wolf! Um, make that wolves!!" as that final scene arrived. That final scene of this episode had me on the edge of my seat. What would I do? Seriously, what? Jack has advised Marin to throw something at the wolf and scream. Is Annie's beloved cat about to become airborne mincemeat?

The cursed-wedding storyline was cringe-inducing, though not in an entirely bad way. I personally just hate seeing things go so terribly wrong every step of the way, especially when good people are involved. The instant they showed that heavy church bell atop Annie's roof, I knew it was heading straight through the shingles and on top of Mai's heirloom tea set. To my aforementioned point, seeing the tea set in shards crushed me. (Even though Mai is my least-favorite Trees character. Her voice is grating, her personality even more so.)

All the embodiments of the curse had me sad. Seeing Ben lose the bar because of his carelessness? Ouch. (Did he have other infractions on record that just one would shutter him? I digress.) And the eyebrow? That was pretty funny though.

Poor Eric and Sarah didn't get much of a chance, did they? That storyline felt a bit rushed with the church board pressuring the reverend to give up his dalliance with the former town pimp. I hope he doesn't regret his decision to bail and take it out on Sarah somehow. I like her character, and if she can't be happy with Ben, give her some bliss with another good dude.

Annie Potts was fine as Annie's mom, though they made her come off as a bit racist in those first scenes with Mai. "Why don't we bio-moms bond?" was a bit harsh and I am sure raised the hackles of many adoptive parents out there. But to her point, the Chinese dragon in a church ceremony was a bit much, and c ame off as an "Isn't this wacky?" indulgence on the writers' part.

And then there is, of course, Jack and Marin. (Isn't it great to see a real-life couple actually have chemistry on screen as well? It's rare.) I loved her speech about how she doesn't want to be "that girl" who asks her man to choose her over something else. (Nice parallels to the Eric-Sarah story, where without even being asked, he chose love over work.) Did Marin's first face-off with that one lone wolf show her that she "doesn't need a man" to complete herself? That she will be fine during the separation from Jack? If so, what does the cliff-hanger portend to teach her? That, you know what, she does need him around more than she thought?What would I do? Would I ask Jack to stay?

No comments: