Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Monday, January 15, 2007

New Music Downloads

It has been pretty quiet in the music world lately. But I did download two recently released songs that I would recommend.

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from the Dreamgirls Music from the Motion Picture. I have not seen the movie yet, but if it is anything like this song, which sends chills down my spine, I know I'll like the movie.

Carly Simon's new CD, Into White, has a dreamy version of "You Can Close Your Eyes", a 1971 tune by her ex-husband James Taylor. Talk about family harmony, her two children with Taylor, Ben & Sally, join her on this wonderful rendition. I love the piano accompaniment.

Speaking of music, I heard a great local band this weekend at the Old Hat. The Unknowns are four musicians who refer to their band as classic rock with some current songs thrown in. These guys play a couple of times a month in the area and have a huge following since most of them are from Van Buren County. I worked for about 10 years with Ron, the lead guitarist, before he left Manatron to pursue his rock & roll dream. He was previously with The Malibus before they disbanded.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pam, you will just LOVE the movie Dreamgirls. Ironically, I saw this on Christmas day, when I heard James Brown passed away, and it made it all the more powerful. The music is great, and a strong cast of actors.