Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Saturday, June 23, 2007

My Name Is Earl: Two Balls, Two Strikes

This is one of those episodes where you can see the end coming a mile away... well, most of the end anyway. The little twist at the end, I have to say I didn't see coming. It's somehow fitting that in the first few moments of the episode Catalina is in a bikini, as this episode is all about sex.. or sexual organs anyway. In fact, one of my favorite things about this episode was counting the number of euphemisms for male genitalia.

Little Chubbies
Gonad pouch
Humpty and Dumpty
Meat and potatoes

It's not until the final moment of the show that I hear Earl utter the word "balls." I imagine the writers had so much fun not using the word throughout the episode that they threw it in at the end just because by that point you wouldn't be expecting to hear it at all.

As usual, there were some hilarious one-liners, but the best ones were jokes that built up throughout the episode. Like when Randy gets up on stage and does a pole dance. Then later, when Catalina says Little Chubby forced two truckers to dance together, Randy asks if they were good dancers like him, or if they were just phoning it in.

Anyway, as soon as I found out that Earl had rearranged Little Chubby's little chubbies, I thought it was pretty clear that this was the source of his personality change. So it was no surprise that LC started acting like his old self again after the surgery. I didn't expect him to take a ball to the balls though. I supposed it was one of the only ways that Earl could cross something off his list. Because to be honest, Earl kicking LC in his nether region was actually probably the nicest thing anyone had ever done for him, so it shouldn't have been on the list in the first place. Of course, Earl, LC, and the list didn't really know that at first.

I got yet another sneak peak into Darnell's history when he remarked at the mansion that he could "get used to living like this again." I honestly think the writers have no intention of delving too deeply into Crabman's past. It's probably more fun just to throw tidbits like this into each episode to make me wonder. It'd probably be a nightmare trying to tie all the jokes about Darnell's past together to make a true backstory.

Overall, what this episode lacked in surprises it made up in humor. Watching Randy slide upside down on the pole was priceless, as were his insights into Grimace's sex appeal.

No comments: