Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Friday, February 20, 2009

My Own Worst Enemy: The Night Train to Moscow

I'm still not convinced that Janus is as great a spy organization that they claim it is. As much as I enjoy the exploits of Henry Spivey and Edward Albright, I would have to coldly agree that he needs to be put out of commission. I'm not sure why Mavis wants to protect him. Maybe if I was given something along the lines of "they could shut down our whole project" if Edward was discovered. But all I get is that Edward is just a really valuable agent and that he's worth keeping even though he's a malfunctioning head-case. I don't see the value really. I'm sure he's good at the spy game, and he's at least as capable as any of the other spy heroes I've seen on TV and movies, but I just don't see the appeal of keeping him.

Maybe if I thought Janus was doing some good in the world. They just seem like a shady black-ops thing to me, and I just don't buy the "for good of the country" line. I feel like I need to like what Edward does a little more. Maybe that would help me not want to erase him. They did try and give Edward a little more "heart" in this episode. I find out that he really wants to track down the KGB baddies that killed his parents, and that he might actually be developing human feelings toward Dr. Skinner.

Henry, on the other hand, is a complete mess. He accidentally sees Angie out of the neighborhood, and catches her in a lie. After finding an old spy-coded photo, he spends the episode believing that Angie might be a planted operative from Janus. And if that wasn't bad enough, Edward/Henry needs to help KGB planted political-wife Mariam Shefer rescue her husband from…well, the KGB.

Mariam just conveniently happens to be an agent that was assigned to her husband as well, but shows Henry that it doesn't mean that she didn't grow to truly love her husband over the years. It was a little bit forced, but then I realized that the life lessons on a show like this would kind of have to come at you like a hammer.

In the end, Henry finds out that, not only is Angie not a spy, but that her super-sex with Edward actually made her feel close to Henry again. Edward's bedroom gymnastics actually might have saved Henry's marriage. It would be nice if this moment led to a better partnership between Edward and Henry. It already seems like they're working better together, and have put aside most of their resentment of the other's mere existence.

No comments: