Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Book Review: With No One As Witness by Elizabeth George

This was the first Elizabeth George book I've read, and I won't read any more. I picked it up because I'm interested in mysteries involving serial killers, but this one lacked the fear factor or the creepiness of other writers, and the serial killer wasn't credible. Plus on top of this it was just so darn boring. It literally took me 30 days to read this extremely long (over 620 pages), dull book. Every time I picked it up, I would fall asleep about two pages into it. Why I persevered, I'll never know. I have such little time to read, that I just hate to waste it on bad books.

And the more I think about it the angrier I get at George for this whole book: the stupid twist with the profiler, the fact that Helen's murder wasn't connected in any way to the case at hand, Winston's obsession with "Yas," Barbara's continuing "dumpiness", and above all, the ending. Barbara and Thomas were friends, and the way she wrapped Barbara's disappointment in Thomas's silence about his decision to turn off the life support as simply a class difference "woven before either of them were born" was just infuriating - she could have explained it as having to tell his family first, or she could have had him tell her the truth!

I think she just wanted the book to end, and chose this way to do it. I won't read another Elizabeth George book that is for sure.

No comments: