Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Friday, May 25, 2007

MTTT - Martini's


A belated birthday celebration was held last night for me at Martini's during our monthly Thirsty Third Thursday. That's me in the middle with Kit & Cheryl.

This is the first time I have been to this place and I'm definitely going back. It has been a mainstay in the Vine neighborhood for over 10 years. More than 15 years ago, the original Martini's opened in Kalamazoo. Where I have been all these years??

Unlike many businesses that move and lose their clientele, Martini's has not only kept its clientele but grown its fan base. Within the past year Martini's renovated and expanded. Clearly there is something special lying within. As one walks in, they are immediately struck by the laid back, chill feel of the restaurant. The expressive use of light is used to continue this sentiment along with the fusion Jazz playing above. Walking through the corridor, the art deco feel becomes more and more apparent.

The recently added full restaurant has a little "industrial" feeling and they had those awful high heavy stools that are impossible for short petite women to push in, but overall I really liked the place. I had heard horror stories about the owner. That he was arrogant, etc. But I think I actually ran into him outside as I was parking. He was kind enough to tell me I was in a no parking zone and suggested I drive around. After I parked, he came walking around back and said, "Good job, kiddo." I like being called nicknames.

From calzones to salads to pasta to pizza, I had an extremely hard time deciding what I wanted. I went for the Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich. I was not disappointed. It was delicious. Liz had the Acorn Squash, which I tasted and it too was very good. Cheryl had the Italian Sausage Farcitta. Some of the guys had calzones and Kit ordered a pizza to take home. I could not tell what the rest of our table ordered but I did not hear a discouraging word from anyone.

If you are in Kalamazoo, be sure to check out Martini's on S. Westnedge. You'll be impressed.

Be sure to check out my photos of the evening's event at my Kodak Gallery. Click here!




No comments: