Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lost: There's No Place Like Home Parts 2 & 3


Wow. And. . . wow. The season finale of Lost was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. It was totally intense and spooky and sweet and gave me some answers. My head is still reeling a little from the two full jam-packed hours.

OK, it's not in chronological order but I just have to type-squeal this: Desmond and Penny! Together forevah! "I love you, Penny, and I'll never leave you again." I was cheering during that moment.

On the other end of the spectrum, definitely cried like a baby while Sun watched the boat explode. Sun's bloodcurdling screams are haunting me.

So, the whole episode I hear about "Jeremy Bentham," who apparently went to see each of the Oceanic Sixers. Kate says to Jack, "When he came to me and I heard what he had to say, I knew he was crazy. But you, you believed him. Him of all people."And Jack responds, "That was the only way to keep you safe, you and Aaron."

Jeremy Bentham also went to see Walt (about whom Hurley remarks, in a bit of an understatement, "Gettin' big, dude.").

I think it's funny when Sawyer calls Jack "Sundance" (a reference to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I assume), but I laughed out loud at "Kenny Rogers" for Frank Lapidus.

The whispers are back in full force this episode! During the Keamy shootout scene, but also on the boat just before Christian Shepard appears and says, "You can go now, Michael." And then the boat blows up and the screaming begins.

After their whole "miracles!" "no miracles!" argument, Locke insists that Jack lie to everyone back on the mainland about the island. "Lie to them, Jack, if you do it half as well as you lie to yourself, they'll believe you."

Rose calls Miles "shorty"! Miles is so smug and snide, I want Rose to take him down a few pegs.

This exchange between Miles and Charlotte seemed like an SNL parody of Lost:Charlotte: "What do you mean, Get back here?"Miles: "What do I mean?" as he shiftily walks away.

Also: Charlotte's been to the island before, and was maybe born there??

I got to see more of the orientation video. Dr. Edgar Halliwax mentions the Casimir effect, which allows "the Dharma Initiative to conduct unique experiments in both space and time."

My favorite exchange:Locke: "Hey, was he talking about what I think he was talking about?"Ben: "If you mean time traveling bunnies, then yes."

This line: "If you think I'm bluffing, may I remind you how your daughter looked when she bled out, face down in the grass," made it very satisfying to watch Ben wail on Keamy. What an insanely evil dude. Though I guess when his daughter died Ben stopped caring about not killing innocent people. He didn't care at all that he blew up the boat.

It's an interesting little Lost in Translation-type moment when I was not allowed to hear what Sawyer whispers to Kate just before he passionately kisses her and jumps from the helicopter.

So, in the future, Hurley's playing chess with Eko and Sayid appears to take Hurley "somewhere safe."

I love Sun so much. She finds Charles Widmore. "You and I have common interests. When you are ready to discuss them, call me. As you know, we're not the only ones who left the island."

Um, drinking rum while a topless Sawyer washes up on the shore in front of me? That's a lot like a dream I have sometimes.

Ben tells John, "Whoever moves the island can never come back." And then he says, with what sounds like real sincerity, "Goodbye John, I'm sorry I made your life so miserable."

Richard Alpert: "Hello John. Welcome home." Wow, Locke really is the new Ben!

Ben, muttering in the icy place where he pushes the thing and moves the island, "I hope you're happy now, Jacob."

I know it ends up being just a dream, but I want to know what the person says on the phone to Kate just before she catches Claire in Aaron's room. That scene was freaky!

"Jeremy Bentham" a.k.a. John Locke told Jack that a lot of "very bad things" have happened and that they're all Jack's fault.

Then Ben says they all have to go back to the island, but that "the island won't let you come alone." He tells Jack that he has ideas, but they all have to go back to the island together — and that includes Locke's corpse. It's interesting that if they do this, they'll have to drag Locke's corpse around, the way he dragged around his father's.

I have so many questions still! Most of them revolve around who is able to die and who isn't — both on the island and off.

No comments: