Quotable:

"In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is a sign of perfection." - Curnonsky

Monday, January 21, 2013

Look Again by Lisa Scottoline

When reporter Ellen Gleeson sees a flyer asking if anyone has seen the kidnapped child pictured on it, she is taken aback that the boy looks exactly like her adopted son, Will. She starts investigating and discovers a difficult truth, even though her adoption was lawful. The whole dilemma of What if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, would she have to give him up? hangs like a dark cloud throughout the whole novel.

I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because the premise of the story is a really good one. The moral dilemma would make for a gut-wrenching story, and it did to a certain extent, but the story line was unbelievable with things falling into place a little too easily. I didn't find this to be the heart-pounding thriller the synopsis promised. There was one scene that brought tears to my eyes, but the story was very predictable, and as a reader I quickly knew it would all work out.

The ending was too good to be true and the romance too shallow for my taste. But this was a very quick read with super short chapters, and I did enjoy it, although the plot was lacking. If you're looking for a suspense novel that won't keep you up at night and that reads fast and simple, this one might do.

No comments: